I went to California for the first time every on a business trip. I was mainly in Anaheim and Anaheim sucks unless you’re a family of 4 going to Disney because that’s really all there is. Fun Fact- A cop told me around 3am that our hotel was located near a gang neighborhood so we should be careful. She had a smile on her face when she mentioned that where we were in Anecrime. I was ready to come back to Boston at that point.
East Coast is very different from West Coast. Huge cultural differences. So huge that I couldn’t move/live/survive in Cali for more than a week.
- Uber is so slow. 4 minutes turns into 11 minutes which then turns into 7 then 3 and then they call you to figure out where you actually are. I actually spent $300 in Ubers because every block was 10 miles long.
- Everyone dresses like they’re attending Coachella. All the time, whether it was 7 am or 2am all I saw was converse, torn high-waisted jorts, flash tattoos, and those stupid flower headbands that girls wear across their foreheads.
- (But really 2A.) You’re either dressing like you’re going to Coachella or you traveled back in time to the 90s and are going to see Nirvana perform. Plaid is worn around all the waists and boots and beanies,which are worn all year round. I even noticed that some have taken it to the next level and brought back the choker.
- 80 degrees is too hot for Californians. 80 degrees is perfect weather for Bostonians. The huge difference is that there no humidity in Cali and it’s always 70% humidity in Boston, which is what kills us. I argued everyone when they said their 2% humidity was a killer. Furious hot debates, that I won every time, and exclaimed how we made it through the blizzard of 2015. I feel kind of bad that it hasn’t rained there in like 4 years but there are pros and cons to every matter.
- Cali pools parties aren’t actually pool parties. I attended one and thank God I didn’t have any time to change into a bathing suit because I would have been the only one to actually show up in a suit. Also, not one person even got in the water. The invitation said, “Don’t forget your bathing suit”.
- Tacos are everywhere. People wear t-shirts to express their love and adoration. There’s no shortage of taco stands or restaurants or even fast food places for… you guessed it… tacos. Mexico, everywhere. I’m more a quesadilla girl, myself.
- Distance is something I can’t get over. Blocks aren’t really what you’d expect a block to be. One block in CA is actually the same length from one side of my hometown to the other. It takes 10-15 minutes to walk one block. I kid you not.
- Their coffee sucks so bad. They don’t have Dunks. I don’t know how they wake up in the morning. They must drink kale shots or aloe or some other fad to live healthy lifestyle is going on. I don’t keep up on that.
- The flight from Boston to Long Beach is like 6 hours. If I’m sitting on a plane for that long, I want to land in another country. Boston to Ireland is just about the same time and I’d feel more satisfaction going to Ireland when you weigh it out. Am I right or am I right?
- So many people I talked to were surprised that I was from Boston because I wasn’t an awful person. #Masshole And, they all asked if I was a Celtics fan like yeah, but they suck…